Rechercher dans ce blog

Sunday, January 3, 2021

Fish Tales: Benefits of being a fly fishing guide - Ravalli Republic

fish.indah.link
Benefits of being a fly fishing guide

People probably think the obvious about the benefits of being a guide. Not being stuck in an office, working outdoors on a beautiful Montana river, and not having a boss are just a few things that come to mind. Some people like my mother don’t even think guiding is a “real” job. She was appalled when I quit my career as a Wall Street banker to become a fly fishing guide 20 years ago. I can assure you being an outfitter/guide is a job. Guides work long hours seven days a week during the season. I’m usually up at 5 a.m. and sometimes don’t return home until 9 or 10 at night. In the morning I’m busy prepping gear, lunch, and calling my guides to insure they have their assignments for the day. I may even have to tie a dozen of the hot fly pattern that’s running low. During the day I strive to make every trip the best ever for my customers. I don’t always succeed but am proud to say I put in a maximum effort always. I control the things I can, but there are many things I cannot. Weather conditions, fish, and angler ability are among them. I am usually successful at getting folks into fish given the challenges presented. When we do have success most credit goes to client skill, the Bitterroot River, and its cooperative trout. I try to never complain about my job as the benefits far outweigh any downside and there’s nothing else I’d rather do.

I have to say that the number one benefit of my job is the thousands of people I’ve met over the years. Fly fishing transcends social boundaries and I’ve guided almost every walk of life from mailmen to movie stars. We are all bound by the common pursuit of trout on the fly. Maybe if more folks had a chance to fish together our society wouldn’t be so divided. Ok, that’s a reach. Over the years I’ve learned that there is so much more to fly fishing than catching fish. I’ve seen the restorative power the sport brings to so many people. Whether it’s an escape from the stress of modern life, a woman recovering from breast cancer, or a military vet trying to heal from the physical and emotional scars of war. All your problems can melt away while floating the river and focusing on catching those elusive trout.

Support Local Journalism

Your membership makes our reporting possible.

The best gift I have been given are the many clients who have also become great friends. You really get to know someone spending eight to nine hours on a boat floating down the Bitterroot. My family has shared many dinners with clients at our house and theirs. I’ve even guided three generations of some families. Over the years I’ve been invited on guided hunting and fishing trips across the U.S. and Canada. When I needed surgery to remove a tumor from my kidney, several of my doctor clients gave me great advice to ensure I got the best possible care. There is one particular Doc, a cardiologist that lives next door to me but only visits three weeks a year. My wife care takes his house and our boys do chores there to earn extra allowance. Every year he anxiously awaits the skwala hatch. I am expected to call him when the hatch starts so we can pick the prime time to fish it. One year I called him and to my surprise, he picked up on the first ring. I asked if he had a minute to which he responded, “No problem, I’m just with a patient.” I don’t know about you but I’ve called my own doctor and never expect to speak with him, I’m lucky if his nurse calls me back the same day. My client’s friendship and generosity became even more apparent this past Christmas. My wife and I contracted Covid-19 in mid-December and are still fighting some lingering symptoms. The cardiologist as well as many other client/friends check in daily.

A friend from Texas, Steve, happened to be spending time at his cabin on the West Fork. One day he dropped by and left a large box of prepared food on our doorstep. Several other folks dropped off packages of food and soup as well. We had no idea so many folks cared so much about us. Most of whom I’ve met through my fly fishing business. If my mother were alive today maybe she would have changed her opinion of my chosen profession. It reminds me of what Clarence the angel said to George Bailey in “It’s a Wonderful Life.” “Remember no man is a failure who has friends.” Happy New Year!

Eddie Olwell of Stevensville's Fishs Eddy O has been fishing the waters of western Montana since 1977 and guiding since 1999. Olwell writes a regular column for the Ravalli Republic called Fish Tales.

The Link Lonk


January 04, 2021 at 05:28AM
https://ift.tt/2X8Jhi8

Fish Tales: Benefits of being a fly fishing guide - Ravalli Republic

https://ift.tt/35JkYuc
Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Fish kill on Palm Beach remains under investigation as cleanup continues - Palm Beach Post

fish.indah.link Crews returned to the beach Monday for a second day of cleanup work following a fish kill on Palm Beach that left scores ...

Popular Posts